Thursday, September 22, 2011

MECHANICS HELP! Regarding my Integra: Questions about my Head Gasket, RPM, and Aftermarket Headers!!!?

Ok, well i got an integra GSR with 118,000 miles. What is the best way to prevent head gasket failure? I use only the recommended coolant from honda and i change the oil every 3,000 miles with conventional oil (the guy who owned it b4 me always used regular oil so i think it would be bad for the motor to switch to synthetic at this point). How much longer should this head gasket last? Is 118,000 miles a lot for a head gasket?



Also, I want to know if I rev the motor around 6-7000 RPM between shifts on a semi-regular basis (only about half the time i drive) will this hurt the motor? It actually redlines at 8,000 RPM, but i rarely ever bring it up to the redline because im afraid ill miss a shift and over revv the motor. So, since it redlines at 8, would it be ok to regularly shift around 6-7000? VTEC kicks in at 4500 and again at i believe 6700 so makes leads me to believe that this motor is SUPPOSE to be shifted at higher RPM.



And finally, would an aftermarket header make any difference in torque or hp? I already have a skunk2 N1 full exhaust on it. I dont plan on changing out the air intake as i think the stock one is sufficient. So, would having just the a/m header and the exhaust make a difference that i could feel in performance?



Serious answers only please and preferably from people who know cars and work on them, thanks.MECHANICS HELP! Regarding my Integra: Questions about my Head Gasket, RPM, and Aftermarket Headers!!!?if the engine is over heated there is a chance to blow a head gasket. that is usually the main cause of head gasket failure.



if a motor has some load on it it is OK to run up the rpm momentarily. the hard thing on a motor is to just hold those high rpm's with no load and just let it stay there



not sure about the headers, i know they help the engine breathe