Thursday, September 22, 2011

Head gasket replacement...?

1999 Subaru Forester 4 cyl All Wheel Drive Automatic



I took my car in for the coolant additive that is need every 40,000 miles to prevent head gasket failure and I was told that both head gaskets are leaking and so is the water pump and that I missed my scheduled additive. What I need to know it what do I need to get to change all of it. I know I need the head gaskets, bolts, head gasket sealant, water pump, water pump seal, water pump gasket sealer, and a timing belt. I know I need a few other seals(intake I think) but I don't know what they are called and if I should replace anything else while I have the engine broke down. What do I need to replace the head gaskets and water pump? Instead of paying $3000 to get it done, I'm doing it myself for $350-$400 since I know how.Head gasket replacement...?The first thing would be to take out the heads and check on the cylinders liners if scratched by pistons by over heat.

As from there a list of parts could be made.

Also try to get a manuel such as Haynes or other.