Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Can anyone tell me how to change/install a head gasket for a 1985 Nissan Pulsar?

Hi guys. I'm really stuck today, as this is the first question I've asked since I joined!

I could really use a little help, as I'm feeling frustrated over my inability to fix a problem I have. I'm a practical woman who is used to being able to work things out easily, so to be totally unable to fix this problem is frustrating.

Anyway, to get to the point!

If any one of you has ANY idea how to change or install a head gasket for a 1985 Nissan Pulsar, or any idea where to get information on how to do it, I would really appreciate some details. Anything you an think of would be useful! Links and diagrams are especially appreciated, as I'm a very visual person.

My fiance is pretty handy with cars and can usually fix things right up once he has instructions, but as he's never replaced a head gasket for anything before, he's a little in the dark on this one.

Thank you very much! :)Can anyone tell me how to change/install a head gasket for a 1985 Nissan Pulsar?I strongly suggest a Haynes manual; It is clear, concise and priceless to have. I've brought 25 Sentras and Pulsars back to life and they respond very well to head-gasket changes. Just make sure you scrape ALL the old gasket completely off the block and the head--being especially careful with the aluminum head--and use acetone to clean both surface and nothing else. Other solvents will leave an oily residue. And follow the Haynes manual explicitly. You can do it, you have a great car.



Advice: Leave the manifolds on the head, it saves on gaskets and aggravation. It's easier to label wires and hoses than it is to fuss with awkward manifold nuts and such. It's a bit quicker that way, too. And make sure the dimple on the cam edge is set straight-up and that the crank timing mark is set for Top-Dead-Centre. You can do it, Good luck!Can anyone tell me how to change/install a head gasket for a 1985 Nissan Pulsar?I strongly suggest buying a repair manual, either directly from Nissan if they sell it or from a publisher such as Haynes or Chilton. There are many steps you have to do in order and torque specifications you'll need for the many nuts and bolts. A service manual will lay these out for you.