Thursday, September 22, 2011

Head gasket/block issue, 1999 blazer?

So I purchased a 1999 chevy blazer a few weeks ago with about 130,000 miles. I looked over the vehicle, and everything seemed to check out. I changed the oil, did this did that and everything was good, car ran fine etc etc. Today I noticed the truck seemed to be running rough and a little hot. Also my oil pressure was a bit higher than usual. I drove it home after work, and checked the oil and to my horror..it is milky and the antifreeze is LOW....damnit. My question is, how likely is it that I just need to replace the intake gasket or head gasket? I'd prefer the intake, but the head is duable. BUT it is the cracked block/head that I'm afraid of. Is there anyone else with a similar experience with this specific engine? (4.3L v6) I just want to know what others have had issues with and my chances it is just a gasket. Also the oil on the dipstick was way high..about half way up the stick. Needless to say, I wont be driving it anytime soon. Is it rare for this to happen so quickly and without warning? I never let the vehicle over heat..and I'm wondering if the previous owner put a sealer in the antifreeze to cover up HIS mistake. Thanks! P.S. Please do not say %26quot;you're screwed%26quot; or %26quot;get a new engine%26quot; because I know what I'll have to do..and I'm a little mad at the situation..especially since I've had the thing for only 3 weeks.Head gasket/block issue, 1999 blazer?before panic , need to find out about head or gasket . I suggest you find a good mechanic and have him run a block test . There are a couple of test to determine that . The test probably will not tell you which one is leaking , but at least you will know if there is one .Head gasket/block issue, 1999 blazer?if it turns out to be a serious problem, take it back from where you got it,

it could be that you've a cracked radiator or a loose hose in the engine somewhere and the coolant has ran out making the engine hotter than it should be, sometimes oil is milky when it is hot, my great uncles lawnmower engine had milky oil in it when he had just used it...

take it to a mechanic, it its a big problem take it back from where you got it, if you've had it less than a month you should be able to take it back...



Good luck hope its nothing serious...Head gasket/block issue, 1999 blazer?try replacing the water pump that may fix it but if it does it may only be a temporary fix you probably are getting antifreeze in your oil which means your engine has a hole in it which is letting the antifreeze leak into the oil pan