Thursday, September 22, 2011

How come there is a lot of white smoke coming out of my 1993 Ford Thunderbird exhaust pipe?

Does that mean there is possibly a broken seal or broken head gasket? My oil was changed today, and all levels of fluids are fine according to my indoor car computer. My husband put some fuel injection fluid into my gas tank today when I didn't have a full tank of fresh gas. Could that possibly be the reason? LindaHow come there is a lot of white smoke coming out of my 1993 Ford Thunderbird exhaust pipe?Does the smoke tail off after the truck has been driven a bit? Do you take a lot of short trips? Could possibly be condensation build up burning off..(happens with all the short trips). 1 sure way to find out is to do a Used oil analysis, which you can have done for about $22.



http://www.blackstone-labs.com/free-testHow come there is a lot of white smoke coming out of my 1993 Ford Thunderbird exhaust pipe?There are 2 possibilities. 1 is the valve seals are shot and need replaced or you can put a new head on the motor. 2 is the head gasket is going bad and anti-freeze is leaking into the oil or oil is leaking into the anti-freeze. Check your anti-freeze by taking the radiator cap off when car is not hot. If it isn't green and looks like a frappucino then you will know. Also check your oil dipstick, and see if the oil is clean. Fuel Injection cleaner could cause that, from cleaning all the dirt and filth out of your fuel system. If it goes away then you're fine. Still check your anti-freeze and oil just to be safe.How come there is a lot of white smoke coming out of my 1993 Ford Thunderbird exhaust pipe?White smoke from the tailpipe typically means coolant (antifreeze) is getting into the combustion cylinders, and fouling things a bit.

It's pretty serious, and not the cheapest thing to have fixed, but it's not impossible to do yourself with a few hand tools and a few hours.

The problem lies with the head gasket not sealing properly.

Either replace it, or have it replaced.

The Haynes manual is great for the pictures in there to give you the step by step on replacing the gasket yourself.How come there is a lot of white smoke coming out of my 1993 Ford Thunderbird exhaust pipe?Thunder birds are know to have head gasket problems and if its a 3.8 engine I feel very confident that thats what it is. Those were the worst engine ford ever put in their cars. I hope I am wrong, but that would be antifreeze coming out your tailpipe. If the exhaust fumes smell sweet then you know.How come there is a lot of white smoke coming out of my 1993 Ford Thunderbird exhaust pipe?white smoke could also mean the car is running rich, but this doesn't normally happen with todays computer fuel injected cars. better check the coolant.