Thursday, September 22, 2011

How do you adjust the rockerarm on a 72 302 ford V-8?

So I have a 72 302 in a 66 coupe. Head gasket went bad so I changed it.



I Took the heads to a machine shop and they mag tested and looked fine to him. He did say that there was some wierd 2 bolt and washer system to make the rocker arms adjustable. I asked if I had to have the adjusable ones (since they are not stock) and he said that the previous owner (not the best mechanic I've come to find out because of other problems I've had) might have some weird camshaft that needs adjustable rocker arms.



I asked what I should do and he sold me some nuts with set screws on the top to lock them in.

He said to adjust them just wait till they stop clicking and then go a 1/2 turn more (while running).



I think I went to tight because the engine stopped running. I read another post just now that said I might have damaged the valves. What to do what to do???



Please help me adjust my rocker arms.How do you adjust the rockerarm on a 72 302 ford V-8?if you have adjustable rockers then you went to far. back all the rockers off one turn and start over, the set screws are there to lock the adjusting nut into place. the adjustment procedure he gave you is correct for a hydraulic cam but i wonder if you have a mechanical cam and not a hydraulic cam. mechanical cams have to be cold when adjusted and you need to use a feeler gauge. if you have a mechanical cam then the way you adjusted the rockers will cause the vehicle not to run. the only way i know how to tell is by looking at a lifter or getting the numbers off the cam and calling the manufacture. good luckHow do you adjust the rockerarm on a 72 302 ford V-8?You didn't damage the valves, just collapsed the lifters. Just readjust and only turn a quarter turn. Also, them type adjusters, is supposed to be done when your on your compression stroke, and both the intake and exhaust valves are closed, and your working on that particular cylinder. Also, do this when the engine isn't running. Much safer that way too.How do you adjust the rockerarm on a 72 302 ford V-8?tighten until a motor change then back off about a 1/4 turnHow do you adjust the rockerarm on a 72 302 ford V-8?run engine to full operating temp and one at a time lossen and tighten a rocker to just the point where the click goes away, then 1/4 to 1/2 turn past. the engine will run a little rough and then smooth back out. occasionaly it may even die. just restart and keep going.



ase master tech

old mustang freakHow do you adjust the rockerarm on a 72 302 ford V-8?stock rockers are not adjustable. get the right cam,lifters and rocker arms.How do you adjust the rockerarm on a 72 302 ford V-8?In 72 if you have the original heads, there is no adjustment. The rocker arm is screwed all the way down. If the head was shave too, too much the engine has to run with the arms loose, and gradually the nut has to be tighen a little at a time until it hits rock bottomHow do you adjust the rockerarm on a 72 302 ford V-8?you need new heads