Monday, September 19, 2011

Is the intake manifold gasket something I can change myself on a 200 Saturn?

Hey all, my wife's 2000 Saturn SL SOHC has been throwing an engine code of P0507 which indicates a higher than normal idle that the PCM is unable to compensate for. After doing some research online it appears that these engines are prone to a leak in the intake manifold gasket. I'm headed out to get some carb cleaner to test for where the leak might be. If it is, in fact, the gasket, how easy is this to change on my own? It appears that it'll be about a $300 job at an auto shop. I'm pretty proficient with tools, but wanted to make sure I'm not getting in over my head. Thanks!!Is the intake manifold gasket something I can change myself on a 200 Saturn?They can change the manifold gasket for $300? Sounds like a good deal to me. It is much to difficult for the do it yourselfer. If you over torque the bolts or under torque you will have leaks and major trouble. Who said it was the gasket? The internet or the mechanic?Is the intake manifold gasket something I can change myself on a 200 Saturn?This answer sucks. the big issue would be the intake is on the firewall side of the engine, and it might be tough to access some of the bolts. Other than that, this is as basic as a repair can get. undo the bolts, remove old gasket, tighten bolts.

Report Abuse

Is the intake manifold gasket something I can change myself on a 200 Saturn?I agree with Beaugrand. $300 is cheap. I used to own a Mercedes. You couldn't do anything on that car for $300.Is the intake manifold gasket something I can change myself on a 200 Saturn?It's not hard to change the gasket. Do it your selfIs the intake manifold gasket something I can change myself on a 200 Saturn?If you're asking for car repair advice on the Internet, you probably shouldn't attempt to fix it yourself.



You may actually be able to replace the gasket, only to find out that wasn't the problem- you have to be certain you know the cause, otherwise you're just throwing expensive parts at the problem and hoping one of them fixes it- when it could be a faulty sensor connection, or a bad hose, or a corroded connector, or a cracked manifold.



When you hire a mechanic, you're paying for his knowledge and training and experience, not just the physical act of replacing parts. A good, competent, ethical mechanic can actually save you money, which is the point of having the car fixed, right?