Monday, October 24, 2011

Someone told me I've blown my 'Head gasket' but not so bad that they can't fix it?

Hi. For 30 yrs I've always looked after my cars, regular tune ups, oil changes, putting in water etc. During an illness I did forget to check my water and steam was coming from my vehicle. I telephoned some one I know they looked at it and said they would have to take it to pieces and they could fix it. They said they would only charge me for the parts and not the labour, therefore I am truly grateful. Sadly that was 6 weeks ago. They have just informed me that they will try to get it finished by the end of the month. They know I'm a single parent and I have medical problems, and I help my older mum and dad out with trips to and fro from the hospital (actually they rely on me). I understand he's busy and got his own things to do, which I respect/understand but surely he should have informed me of this wait in the beginning especially since he originally said 2-3 weeks. I have tried to talk to him but every time I even mention the car it's like he's going to make me wait even longer. Does anyone know how long it usually takes to fix something like this? Please don't misunderstand me I am grateful for the help, I just don't understand cars. Oh the car is about 10yrs old and is a Renault. Thank you in advance?Someone told me I've blown my 'Head gasket' but not so bad that they can't fix it?The work at an auto shop can last about a good week and hit about a good thousand! here's the problem though, I know he's saving u money but If it is a headgasket, u need to have it fixed ASAP! the longer the engine sits with water in the block it's gonna start rotting and picking away at the block. Once that happens.... hello rebuilt engine!Someone told me I've blown my 'Head gasket' but not so bad that they can't fix it?They should have gotten all of the parts within a week or maybe 2 if there are multiple parts or some of them are hard to find. The Head Gasket is basically a seal between the engine block and the engine head. The top of the engine needs to be taken off and everything attached to the top of the engine. It doesnt take more than a couple of hours to remove everything, a few seconds to put the gsaket on, and a couple more to reattach everything. It might take a day for a slow mechanic to do the work once getting the parts even if there are other parts to replace, not 4-5 weeks going on 2 months.Someone told me I've blown my 'Head gasket' but not so bad that they can't fix it?There are no parts that can't be fixed by replacing them. Replace it it at your ealiest possible to avoid even more damage.Someone told me I've blown my 'Head gasket' but not so bad that they can't fix it?well should have took like two days to fix it,

so 6 wks your being screwed over



just call another shop or two ask them how much to replace head gasket and how long it might take a week would be a long timeSomeone told me I've blown my 'Head gasket' but not so bad that they can't fix it?how do they know it,s the head gasket ? there,s other things can make it steam besides the head gasket. did they check the oil to see if anti-freeze is in it? or did they start it up to see if white smoke was coming out the tailpipe? it could be a broken hose, a faulty thermostat or the radiator could be the problem.but since they have it torn down i would say by working on it in his spare time he should had it back on the road no later then a week or so.Someone told me I've blown my 'Head gasket' but not so bad that they can't fix it?Renault parts are available in the UK from Euro Parts same day or within 24 hours, if its a normal Renault and its not a 16 valve engine then it would take about 10 hours to replace a head gasket, 16 valve engine around 16 hours, Diesel engine would be around 11 hours.



Renault's are prone to cracked heads and lots of overheating faults, depending on the model you have and which engine package is fitted there may be lots of gadgets and gizmo's that if fail will cause overheating.



Renault'ss also suffer from a residue in the header tank, put this with low water and steam its easy to diagnose a head gasket but the problem will be something else. unless you have had regular coolant change you will have a sandy coloured residue in the header tank.



Good luck.