Monday, October 24, 2011

I'm too scared to do an oil change.?

I have a 4 cylinder vtec honda accord and I want to put Mobil 1 5w30 4Q + Lucas oil stabilizer 1Q; total 5 quarts into the engine. Total engine oil capacity according the the manual says 4.5 US quarts. How should I go about putting this oil in?



I am kind of a noob with oil changes. I have done it before on this car but I feel like I know nothing. What I think I can do is put in 3 quarts mobil1 then 1 quart Lucas then .5 quart mobil1 then check the levels, add a little more then check? Any advice would be nice. I was also thinking of saving a little Lucas for use in my lawnmower engine.



Second question is since I am using synthetic, I want to prepare for likely leaks. I heard that most often synthetic leaks come from one spot, but I cant remember what part (head gasket?) and I cant find where I read it. Anyways, I want to know how to check for oil leaks and what to do once I find them.



So ya, I dont know why but I keep procrastinating cause I dont want to mess up an oil change.I'm too scared to do an oil change.?just use the correct 5/20 wt oil your car requires and if your not able to do it take it to the closest Honda dealer

and synthetic oils are by far the biggest waste of money for your Accord. No honda models use it.

but if you think paying more for oil is better well I got some special gas tank magnets that i will sell ya for 100 bucks each :)I'm too scared to do an oil change.?Just take it to an oil change shop. It think it's only $60 or even less...I'm too scared to do an oil change.?If you use mobil one oil you do not need to add anything else. The oil is one of the best and needs nothing more.I'm too scared to do an oil change.?O.k. I am not going to promote using mobil-1 oil or any other brand. I believe in using what the owners manual says. For instance, I use Valvoline 5-30W in my wifes 04 Tahoe. Additives are more of a waste of money than a help and I wouldn't use them unless for a transmission shudder or something so don't trust everything you read on the bottle. I only have 15 years as a technician. O.k, for the oil change. You've done it before so it should come back to you. But here we go. First, raise and properly support the front of the car to gain access to the drain plug. Place a drain pan under the car and remove the plug from the engine oil pan. Let all the oil drain. Remove the oil filter and let the oil drain from there also. REINSTALL THE OIL PLUG, AND TIGHTEN IT. I can't tell how many engines I've seen ruined because the drain plug was not tightened. Take a little bit of new oil on your finger and lube the gasket of the new oil filter. Install the new oil filter after cleaning the area with a rag to remove any old oil. Lower the car. Pour in the amount of oil the owners manual calls for. Look under the car and check for leaks. Check the dipstick. It should read a little high. Start the car and watch the oil pressure guage/light and make sure it comes to normal. Turn off the car, check for leaks again, and check the oil level. Your done...Good luck, hope it helps...I'm too scared to do an oil change.?So easy, I can do it...but I won'tI'm too scared to do an oil change.?By my calculation you should put in .88% of the 4 qts of 5w30 and .88% of the synthetic.Roughly 3 and 3/4 5 w30 and 3/4 synthetic.You are right the head gasket is the likely place for a leak and fixing it would be as someone suggested not to use the synthetic.Minor leaking can be expected but unless your losing significant oil(qt a week) replacing the head gasket would be out of the question.I would avoid messing with the head gasket,it is costly and often times complicates further engine problems.I'm too scared to do an oil change.?if you procrastinate to long you ll be asking about an engine change so GET R DONE. the oil you use is up to you. i would use it but i change my oil alot because i drive alot of miles. i would put in 2-3 quarts of Mobil 1 oil then what ammount of lucas and the rest with mobil. make sure you start the engine before you top it off so you know how much oil you need to add