Monday, October 24, 2011

How long can I go with a blown head gasket?

Well, after the questions and research, I'm pretty sure I have a blown headgasket. I need this car for one more year, then I will be able to get a new one.



I dont smell anything when driving, the engine runs fine when I keep the coolant up, no leaks, etc.



How long can I milk this for? Is it likely I could keep it for a year by just keeping the coolant level up and regular oil changes?



Thanks,How long can I go with a blown head gasket?A VERY difficult question to answer, since there is no way of knowing just how much mix between the coolant and the oil is going on!!! Quite honestly, you are taking a big chance here, since no matter how often you change your oil, the coolant is contaminating it almost instantly, thereby reducing its lubricating properties. Also, this is going to put MAJOR strain on the rest of the engine, since the coolant is also contaminated and will not cool the engine as efficiently as it is meant to.... If I were you, I would either shorten my duration to no more than a month or two with NO high-speed driving, or bite the bullet and change the gasket ASAP (I mean, if you are going to change it anyway, then do it NOW so that the engine suffers minimal damage). Bear in mind that your engine could very well seize unexpectedly and lock up on you when you are driving on the freeway at 70MPH.... not pretty!!! Also, look at it this way, after a year when you are ready for your new wheels, you will be able to use the old clunker as a trade-in or sell it to someone and make some money back, but if you carry on just as you are doing now, your old clunker will be ready for the scrap heap by then, if it hasn't already croaked on you.... so.... CHANGE THE GASKET!!! :DHow long can I go with a blown head gasket?I guess you'll find out!



Try some block sealer they do work for a time.How long can I go with a blown head gasket?it also might be the intake gasket if it is a GM

I would try a stopleak product

you have nothing to loseHow long can I go with a blown head gasket?if you keep on the water will get in the oil iwood park it nowHow long can I go with a blown head gasket?Just to be safe, and you want to keep this vehicle for another year, I would go see a mechanic and get an opinion or you will be up a creek without a paddle. If you know somebody you can trust take it to that person. My sister-in-law just had this happen to her and wham now she is without a car until the headgaskets get repaired. It is better to be safe than sorry. If you take it to a dealership to be repaired they have a service parts replacement warranty for a full year or 12,000 miles which ever comes first on the part or parts that had to be replaced. This is something to think about.How long can I go with a blown head gasket?sorry but no the engine coolant leaking into the cylinders washes away the oil which in turn will cause the engine to sieze.perhapes if u are not driving long distances or long periods of time then maybe.if the exhaust from your car is grey and it looks like water drops on your oil dipstick then yes u have a blown head gasket or cracked/warped heads and no u will not get 1 yearHow long can I go with a blown head gasket?If you're sure it a bad gasket???? it's not that common,mostly with cast iron engines w/ aluminum heads. But, what I would do is get a radiator cap with a lower rating. If you have a 10 lb cap, get a 5 lb, or there abouts. This will take some of the pressure off the gasket. Also remember that coolant is much more stable and expands much less than water, And a cooler thermostat will open up sooner and releive the pressure a little more. Last, I guess, a tube of that aluminum radiator sealer. Good shot at making it.How long can I go with a blown head gasket?It will run until it hydro locks from the water in the oil.How long can I go with a blown head gasket?if you have a leaking head gasket, and your going to get rid of it, why dont you put some bars-leak in it, that will slow it down, until you get rid of it, just dr. it up some.
  • bird
  • advice on dating a girl
  •