Monday, October 24, 2011

How long do head gaskets on 2003 nissan sentra GXE last?

I bough this car new, and now it has 85K miles on it and not it's even 4 years old. I am very good about oil changes and maintenance, but now at 85K miles I have to replace the Head Gaskets. I have only taken my car to the dealer for servicing, so no other mechanics have touched my car. I don't believe it's normal to replace the head gaskets so soon. I will never buy a nissan again.How long do head gaskets on 2003 nissan sentra GXE last?No it's not normal. A head gasket should last the life of the engine, 200K+ miles. However if the engine was ever overheated or has been abused then that could severely shorten the life of the head gasket.



I would ask if Nissan would cover it under warranty, even if it's outside of the written warranty sometimes manufacturer's will fix severe defects like this just to make the customer happy. You may have to be firm with them and request to speak with managers at the dealer and maybe even the regional Nissan reps. Also most cars come factory with a 100K powertrain warranty and the engine/head gasket is definately part of the powertrain. So keep asking, and keep bothering them almost all dealers are reluctant to just offer warranty service because it costs them money and the love to try to get away with the customer paying for stuff like this.How long do head gaskets on 2003 nissan sentra GXE last?Head gaskets should last the life of the engine assuming you also change the antifreeze as per the mfg. recommendation, as this gives you the anti corrosion you need as well as freeze protection. Or if the engine has not overheated causing the heads to warp.