Monday, November 22, 2010

How hard is it to change the head gasket on a 2004 Toyota Highlander (4 cyl, 2wd)?

I've changed my oil, and changed the exhaust system on a Harley I had, but that's the extent of my mechanical experience. I know it would take a long time, but how hard is it to change the head gasket on a 2004 Toyota Highlander? I have a garage so I could take a week or two if I needed to, spending 3 or 4 hours a day. Is this something I could realistically do? How long would it take, and how hard is it? I've heard it's just time consuming getting everything apart.How hard is it to change the head gasket on a 2004 Toyota Highlander (4 cyl, 2wd)?4 cylinders are very simple to work on. IF you are lucky you can change the head without removing the timing belt or timing chain. ( I usually use a wire or strap to hold the timing gear up and tight when removed from the head.) You probably know somebody that has a little more mechanical experience that can give you some pointers. The Haynes manual is a must. Some Toytoa dealers will copy the Toyota repair pages and torque specs for you if the service manager is nice...



I always am able to remove the 4 cyl head (and inline 6 cyl) with Intake and Exhaust manifold still on, it is heavier but saves a lot of problems with gaskets and bolts.



BE SURE the timing is set for Top Dead Center (firing) for number one cylinder before starting or if something goes wrong it can be a major pain to get timing reset.How hard is it to change the head gasket on a 2004 Toyota Highlander (4 cyl, 2wd)?It's a major pain in the asss if you don't have the right tools.



If it was an old Chevy V-8 I'd say %26quot;go for it%26quot; because you can reach everything with basic tools. But this new fangled crap is a ***** to work on.



That's just my opinion.How hard is it to change the head gasket on a 2004 Toyota Highlander (4 cyl, 2wd)?Well your car is not that old so I guess you have some time to research this. You will need special tools, a good shop manual and a lot of time. I do them in one day (with machining the head) but in your case longer. Check out several garages and compare prices (remember timing belt and if necessary water pump should be added at this time). You might find it better not to touch it.How hard is it to change the head gasket on a 2004 Toyota Highlander (4 cyl, 2wd)?Don't do it yourself if you don't have the experience. Ifyou absolutely must though I would suggest buying a haynes manual at the very least. Don't just start taking stuff apart as there is a sequence for good reasons. Label everything.... If you don't have rethreading or the right drills and a bolt breaks you're screwed anyways. Get more on torque specs than just haynes too cuz they make mistakes sometimes....